好文好圖用作善意分享。如有侵權煩請告知必當刪除。連絡電郵: geegeelooloo@gmail.com

5/22/14

IRS Reiterates Warning of Pervasive Telephone Scam(王潔茜提供) (05/22/14)

Hi Everyone,

Beware of this kind of scam. Someone left me a cruel threaten message and phone number claiming from IRS that I owe taxes. They(IRS) will take legal action against me if I didn't return this phone call. When I called back, someone without a name answered my call right away, which is not like calling the real IRS that you have to go through a recorded menu to chose the right language and department you want. The person on the other end then asked for my name and phone number as identification. She asked me if I have a lawyer and went on to tell me how many thousand dollars I owed from 2008 and 2009. She stated that my bank accounts, real estates, salary, income and anything I own will be attached for the tax I owed. I told her that I have retired since 2008 and I didn't owe any tax. She then stated that I had miscalculations on my taxes from 2007 and 2008. I asked her why the IRS didn't send me any notice if they had audited my tax returns. She said IRS did deliver the notice, but no one was home to accept the notice. I told her we always have someone at home and asked her to send me the IRS notice again. She refused to send the notice again and threatened to have police to arrest me. I told her that I don't know who she is and where the phone call is from. She hand up without asking for my money or other information. The original same message was left again on my machine after a little while threaten to take legal action if I didn't return the phone call.
 
I wanted to verify with the real IRS, so I log on to the IRS website to get the contact number. I called the website help number and got a recorded menu as usual. I was connected to a representative who identified her name and IRS web help. She immediately told me that phone call was not form the real IRS after I told her what just happened to me. She then directed me to this web page for instructions to report the scam.
 
It is very easy to obtain your name, address, phone numbers, email address and other information about you in today's no privacy world.
I hope everyone will read this warning from the real IRS and report any incidents to stop all the scams.
 
The phone number I was asked to call back is 202-506-9194. 
 
PS. Often did you received junk emails asking for your info in order to send you money that you are entitled to? Shipping notice by junk email for you to pick up. Notice to appear at court by junk email. Asking for your email account information in order to update your account. All kinds of scams are going on. Take the advice from the real IRS and do not open this kind of emails.   
 
I hope you would share this kind of information with your family and friends.
 
John